Friday 2 August 2019

Finding the New Teacher - Part III of Three


It turned out that after that last miracle in our synagogue in Capernaum, my – Jairus, that is - meeting the new teacher was not going to be easy. Seems he had got wind of the increasing hostility of our religious leaders and experts in The Law. As a result, he was staying away from our town and synagogue. He was meeting people on the hillsides and lakeshores of the Sea of Galilee. I also heard that, likely for similar reasons, he had also begun to make his teachings more veiled. The plain message of repentance and forgiveness was being replaced by stories, parables like our other rabbis also sometimes used.

I was pondering how to pursue my quest to talk with this Jesus when it happened, but not at all how I envisioned it. Our dear daughter became ill. Nothing we could do, no help that we could find, seemed to be leading to recovery. My wife and I were afraid she was going to die. 

Then it struck me. This Jesus had performed all kinds of miracles. Could he heal our daughter? Part of me wanted to drop everything and go and find him and ask him if he could do us this favour. But did I have enough faith? That always seemed to enter the picture. Was there some sin her mother or I had committed that needed forgiveness? That was another factor that had been part of some of these healing episodes. All these questions and doubts. What’s more, what would my associates think? Here were our spiritual leaders thinking this man had crossed a line that deserved death. What would happen to me if they learned I had gone to ask him for help? Would I lose my position as synagogue leader? or worse?

Meanwhile, our daughter was beginning to look like she was indeed at death’s door. I told my wife what I was thinking and she accepted my plan. I threw all caution to the wind and hurried out to find Jesus.

I did not have to go far. In the distance, I could see a large crowd gathering at the seashore. I practically ran to the edge of the crowd and then began jostling to get nearer to Jesus. People who knew me helped part the way for me to get through; some of them knew our daughter was ill and maybe they wondered if I was coming to get help. Suddenly, there he was, right in front of me. I looked into his eyes and was so overcome by his returning gaze I threw myself at his feet. It was like he was just waiting for me to state my case. I didn’t care anymore what anyone thought. I just wanted our daughter well.

“Teacher, rabbi,” I cried, “Our daughter is at the point of death. Please, please, come to our place and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well, and live.” I could see the tears well up in Jesus’ eyes as he bent over and took my hands and pulled me to my feet. Without a word, he put his arm across my back and began walking quickly with me towards our home.

The crowd was still pressing around Jesus as we tried to make our way. People were reaching out to touch him, hoping to get his attention, to be healed. Suddenly Jesus stopped. Oh no, I thought, please, hurry. Then I caught myself. How could I be so selfish. If Jesus wanted to give his attention to someone else, I was sure he knew that he could still fulfil my wishes. Just being with him was giving me that confidence. It was strange, but I was feeling calm, no longer panicky. 

Out of the corner of my eye I had seen a woman fall to the ground behind him and just brush his cloak with her outstretched hand. Jesus turned and asked, “Who touched me?” His followers, those young men who had gathered around him said, “Jesus, the crowd is so tight – everyone is touching you.” He did not let that stop him. Still, he looked around. Sensing she could not get away, the woman whom I had seen touch him came forward and fell before him. Shaking in fear, she told him her long story. Again, I saw the look and tenderness with which he reached out to her. I can only describe it as real compassion, even love. He seemed so genuinely moved by the needs of those he encountered. He gave her his hand and said, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace and be healed of your disease.”

The crowd had stopped in its movement as this happened but even before those words were out of Jesus’ mouth I saw some friends hurrying towards us. The looks on their faces told me everything. They rushed to my side and in hushed tones told me what no father wants to hear, “Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the teacher any further,” they added. 

Before I could even begin to think of what to do now, Jesus, having obviously heard our friends, turned to me: “Do not fear,” he said, “Only believe.” Oh, how I wanted to do that.

Then he turned to the crowd. Raising his arm toward them he said, “My teaching, my work with you is done for now. Please leave me go and complete another work I have to do.” Turning to his followers he singled out three of them and signaled them to go with us. 

We hurried on in silence to our home. Already from a distance we could hear the keening of the mourners. It really struck me then. Our daughter was dead. What could Jesus do now? We were too late. If only we had not stopped earlier. Again, I dismissed such negative thoughts. Jesus had reassured me and, somehow, I still felt calm entering our home with him.

I could see he seemed a little irritated with all the commotion and noise. He looked around at all the mourners and spoke, “Why do you make a commotion and weep? The child is not dead but sleeping.” Really? Did Jesus know something we didn’t? Jesus went on, “Can you please all leave?” Some of those present were laughing at Jesus, even sneering at him. “The girl is dead,” they insisted. But his look told them he meant business and they went outside. He guided my wife and I to our daughter’s side, with the three men close behind. Again, he reached down, took our daughter’s pale hand and said, “Little girl, get up.” I held my breath, but what did I see? Our daughter’s eyelids flickered, then her eyes opened wide. Seeing us all around she got up off the bed and rushed into our arms. Then she pulled herself away and took a circle around the room, stepping so lightly it was as if she was dancing. Indeed, with the smile on her face she was. 

We were astounded. I was sure she was dead when I had seen her lying there so pale and lifeless. Our friends would not have told us so if they did not think she was dead. Had this Jesus just raised her from death? Who was this man indeed? Before I could say anything, Jesus asked us to give her something to eat. Her mother quickly complied. While our daughter was happily munching away, Jesus said, “Don’t tell anyone what you have just seen.” With that, he turned and left, with his three followers close behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment