Thursday 11 August 2011

Chapter 6 – Tuesday – The Ten Commandments Number 2 - 2008 7 15


Chapter 6 – Tuesday – The Ten Commandments Number 2 - 2008 7 15

Yesterday I wrote about the first two commandments. Number one is: "I am the Lord Your God." Number two is "You shall have no other gods before me."
The word God is of course just the English word for the supernatural being that we believe made the universe and looks after it. You may remember from the biblical story of Moses that when he met this Being at what appeared to be a burning bush that did not get consumed, this Being simply identified himself as "I Am." God did not say 'I was,' which is English grammar past tense. He did not say 'I will be,' which refers to the future. Whenever and wherever we meet Him, he is always in the present with us. He was I Am with people who met him in the past, and will be I Am when people meet him in the future. He is always I Am.
Isn't that a comforting thought? I think it tells us that God is with us at all times and in all places.
You know I am a psychiatrist. To be a good therapist you have to be a good listener. You have to give your patient all your attention. We say you have to be with your patient in the moment. God is with us every moment. We can talk to him in prayer at any time, anywhere. We can wait to hear his answer anytime, anywhere.
It is as we believe King David wrote in The Psalms, ch. 121, vs 4 – 8: "Look, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep…the Lord shall preserve your going out and coming in from this time forth and forever". If that is God's promise to us, what have we to fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment