Saturday 13 August 2011

Chapter 9 - Tuesday - The Ten Commandments Number 5 – 2008 7 22


The Fifth Commandment is this, "Honour your father and mother that the days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you". I have a personal story to relate to that.

If you were in church this last Sunday, you will have noticed that we were not there. My parents had called and asked if we would come out to Abbotsford to meet them for lunch. They were coming down from where they live in Vernon to help celebrate my great Uncle Bill's 90th birthday.

William E. Thiessen is my maternal (father's mother's side of the family) grandmother's youngest brother. My grandmother died in 1993 at age 95. Bill has been a pastor, teacher and administrator. He still gives short devotional talks when he goes with a group to visit Personal Care Homes on Sunday mornings. This birthday party was organized by his 4 children and their spouses. That is really honouring your father (unfortunately, Bill's wife Kay died two years ago).

The party was held in the common room of the apartment complex where he has lived for 18 years. Besides his children, grandparents, and us, there were his in-laws and other cousins of his filling the room. It was as loud as a Chinese restaurant! I guess you could say we were honouring my parents by going out there to see them and these other relatives, many of whom we don't even know. Of course, we did know a number too, such as my own uncles and aunts, who are his nephews and nieces.

Towards the end of the afternoon, Uncle Bill sang a special hymn with three other men he had sung with in the past as a quartet in churches. One of the men was my own Uncle Allen. Bill sang bass, the lowest pitch! Then he gave a little speech. At one point during his talk he pulled a slip of paper from his pocket – he was obviously prepared – and read:
"Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with your counsel and afterward receive me to glory. Who have I in heaven but you? And there is none on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart fail: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever".
That came from Psalm 73: 23-26.

I am glad we went to this party. Uncle Bill is a great inspiration to us all. He went around the room smiling and talking with everyone, putting his arm around their shoulder, making them all feel welcome. Would we could all be like that. He obviously honoured his parents by what he became and look how long he has lived and how healthy he looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment